Connecting WWAN Modem in Linux
As of this writing Linux support about this type of modem isn’t really good. GUI Network Manager doesn’t know such device. You need to configure it manually (in console). The solution that works for me.
$ echo -e “AT^NDISDUP=1,1,\”your_APN_name\”\r” > /dev/ttyUSB0
This command will connect the stick to LTE network.
– You have installed usb_modeswitch package
– the modem created /dev/ttyUSB0
– your modem has no qmi and no mbim. It just works with AT command.
$ su -c dhclient wwan0
This command will acquire IP address for the wwan0 interface.
– When this device connected to internet, your network manager software will recognized the connection as ‘Wired Connection’.
– if your WWAN modem is QMI device, you probably need to use qmcli to configure your device.
– if your WWAN modem is MBIM device, you probably need to use mmcli to configure your device.